Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Political update

Today, my seven year old asked me an important question at the dinner table. Okay, let me back up a little bit.

At this point in my life, I would describe myself as apolitical, if that's a word. Back in high school, and especially in college, I used to love talking politics and getting into discussions with others. My second major at WSU was Political Science, and I really enjoyed learning about the way a government works, both within the US and throughout the world. I would say that, on the political spectrum, I was about as far left as they come, before 1993. That's when I joined my husband's politically-uber-opinionated family. I can't recall the exact events that led to my self-induced banishment from all things political, but I know it had something to do with the saturation of vehemently vocalized 'truths' wearing on me. With right-winged talk radio on loudly and all the time, and a brother-in-law (also a poly sci major, like myself) who liked to argue with me and enlighten me as to the errors of my liberal ways, it didn't take long for me to shut down. I looked at it as self-preservation.

Since then, I have more or less steered clear of campaign rhetoric as much as possible, which is no easy thing. I don't get into political discussions at all, if I can help it. But, now I have children who are learning about things at school and talking with their friends. I guess I can't hide forever, especially with a big election only a month away.

Now, back to my story. Today, my seven year old asked me an important question at the dinner table. She queried, "Mom, who are you voting for to be president? John McCain or the brown guy?"

Biting my lower lip and trying desperately not to laugh, I replied a little shakily to her, "You mean Barrack Obama."

The seven year old immediately shouted out, her voice filled with shock and outrage, "You're voting for the brown guy?!?!" I'm not sure where that reaction came from, but wow!

Before I could clarify for the seven year old, the four year old, having a burning desire to add his two cents into the conversation, chimed in right at that moment, "Bronco Bama, oh yeah!" in his best impersonation of a rapper.

I decided to remain silent, grieving that my husband wasn't here to truly appreciate this moment. If you couldn't deduce it from the children's responses, my husband is a conservative Republican and avid Denver Broncos fan. Apparently, so are my children.