Monday, June 16, 2008

Great praise, coming from a four year old....

My little one, who is four, had his best buddy from preschool over here to play recently. While I was in my bathroom, putting my make-up on, the two little boys marched in to speak with me, with what was obviously a serious matter to discuss. The little friend, in hushed tones, said to me, "Um, Miss Shannon, um, I have to go potty."

I replied that he was welcome to use my bathroom, or that my son could show him where the other downstairs bathroom was.

He then continued quietly, shuffling his feet from one side to the other, twisting his hands nervously, "Um, Miss Shannon?"

"Yes?" I replied, patiently, turning my attention more fully to him now.

"Um, Miss Shannon, I have to go poo poo and potty," he informed me cautiously.

Trying to hide my smirk (and thinking to myself that my preferred response at that moment would have been, 'Thank you for that information'), I calmly responded by smiling encouragingly at the anxious little redhead, saying, "Alright, sweetie. If you need help, just let me know."

Feet still shuffling (I realized now this was his version of what is referred to in our house as 'doing the potty dance'), he then said, "Yeah, 'cause, Miss Shannon, I, um, I'm not very good at wiping myself."

I grinned openly now, trying to reassure the poor little guy it was all going to be okay. I told him, "That's okay. You just let me know when you're finished, and I'll come help you if you need it."

Obviously receiving the validation he needed, he nodded his head, and murmured something under his breath, and turned to leave the bathroom with my son, apparently choosing to do his 'business' in the other bathroom. I turned back to the mirror, continuing the process of putting my face on for the day, and heard my son saying very seriously to his little friend as they walked away, "It's okay; my mom is REALLY good at wiping butts."

Had I been drinking a soda at the moment, I have no doubt it would have exploded out of nose. Kids crack me up....and yes, the pun was intended.

2 comments:

THE DELIS FAMILY said...

Sam and I both laughed aloud! Never a dull moment with 4 year olds, huh?

Jill Wagner said...

That is hilarious! It's crazy all the things these kids come up with.